The National Service Scheme (NSS) is a government-sponsored flagship for public service program conducted by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports of the Government of India. Popularly known as NSS, the scheme was launched in Gandhiji’s Centenary year in 1969. N.S.S aims at developing students’ personality through community service.
The N.S.S unit of our College was started in the year 1971-72. Currently we are having two aided units and one self-financing unit with three hundred volunteers. Enrollment to the N.S.S is opened for first year Degree students. Every volunteer has to work for at least 240 hours including Seven Day Camp and Three Day Camp within two years. All eligible volunteers are provided with Certificate from University which will make them eligible for grace marks. Volunteers are also given the opportunity for attending Republic Day Parade, Adventure Camps, Nature Camps, National Integration Camp and various other campaigns and competitions organised by N.S.S Directorate, University and other Colleges. Our N.S.S unit is always in the forefront for addressing various issues affecting our society.
The main objectives of National Service Scheme (NSS) are:
- Understand the community in which they work
- Understand themselves in relation to their community
- Identify the needs and problems of the community and involve them in problem-solving
- Develop among themselves a sense of social and civic responsibility
- Utilises their knowledge in finding practical solutions to individual and community problems
- Develop competence required for group-living and sharing of responsibilities
- Gain skills in mobilising community participation
- Acquire leadership qualities and democratic attitudes
- Develop capacity to meet emergencies and natural disasters and
- Practice national integration and social harmony
Awards and Recognitions
- Our NSS unit secured the ‚ÄúMoses Trophy‚ÄĚ Award from Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam during 2013-2014 for the best N.S.S Unit and we bagged four more awards Rev. Dr. O.C. Joseph (Best Principal), Dr. Sunny Joseph Kalayathankal and Prof. Sijimol C.G (Best NSS Programme Officers) and Ms. Raveena K. Ramesh (Best Volunteer) during the same year.
- During the academic year 1991-92 our College got the Certificate of Appreciation for the best N.S.S unit from M.G University.
- Our Programme Officer Ms. Neethu Jose got the Certificate of Appreciation for the Best Programme Officer University level in the year 2019-20.
- Best Unit for donating more units of blood during the years 1975-76 and 2018-19 from Medical College, Kottayam.
- Our Volunteer Mr.Albin Prakash has been selected as a member of the M.G University Advisory Board for N.S.S
Currently our College has 3 units with almost 300 volunteers and Dr. Fr. Xavier C.S, Ms. Neethu Jose, Ms. Chinchu Rani Vincent and Mr. Shamal T.M as Programme Officers.